Townhouse in Dublin

For over seven hundred years, the history of the Butlers has been the history of Anglo-Irish relations. One of the most illustrious of the Norman families in Ireland, they stemmed from the 10th century Rollo of Norway, First Duke of Normandy. In 1171 he accompanied Henry II to Ireland and was made Chief Butler, whose duty it was to attend the coronation of the Kings of England, conferring upon them the first cup of wine. From this office, the Butlers derived their surname.

Originally seated at Gowran, the Butlers moved their main stronghold to Kilkenny Castle in 1391, which remained in their possession until the 1900s. Over the centuries the Butlers acquired and built many prestigious homes throughout Ireland. An example of their dedication to architecture and fashion is the Swiss Cottage in Cahir, Co Tipperary. This delightful ‘cottage orné’ built in 1812 by Richard Butler, 1st Earl of Glengall was designed by the famous Regency architect John Nash.

Butlers Townhouse Dublin is an example of one of the Townhouses typically owned by The Butler Family. Predominantly a private residence over the centuries, Butlers Townhouse was purchased and renovated by its previous owners in 1995. Most recently Butlers Townhouse has again passed to another renowned and influential family, who are ready and willing to take up the prestigious mantle.